New Zealand. Become Kiwi.
"Sweet as..." the daily life of the Kiwis cannot be imagined without this expression that perfectly reflects their easy-going attitude towards life. The land of the long white cloud awaits with friendly people, excellent schools, diverse leisure activities and modern cities. The nature is also incomparable and breath-taking: silent fjords, alpine mountains, glaciers, hot springs, waterfalls, jungle-like forests and long white sandy beaches.
The New Zealand school system differs from the one in Europe and America and might differ from the one from your country as well. High School starts in year 9 at the age of 13 and ranges until year 13 with 19 years of age. Until the 10th grade a determined timetable of compulsory subjects and optional subjects is followed. In grades 11 to 13 students can choose 5 to 6 subjects from a wide range of options. In New Zealand you will be assigned to a school class depending on your age and knowledge. At most schools you will wear a uniform.The New Zealand school year starts at the end of January and ends in mid December. It consists of four terms:
- Term 1: End of January – Mid April
- Term 2: End of April – Beginning of July
- Term 3: Mid July – End of September
- Term 4: Beginning of October – Mid December
You can start at the beginning of any term and stay for a length of one to four terms. We recommend starting in January as this is not just the beginning of New Zealand’s summer but also the beginning of the school year. Shorter stays from four to six weeks are also possible at selectedschools.Sprachcaffe maintains close contact with the school districts to help you with any issues that may arise. In addition, a member of the International Office will be there to support you as well.
Please find below an overview of the SC High School Programm New Zealand.
Overview (for all schools in New Zealand)
Duration of Stay:
- Flexible, 4 weeks to 4 terms (1 term = approx. 3 months)
- Application period: 12-6 months prior to departure
- Accommodation and board with host family
- Lessons at High School
- School fees
- On-site support
- Visa permit
- Information package
- Pocket money
- Visa fees
- Cost of lesson materials
- School lunches
- School uniform
- There are no application fees
Besides familiar subjects, in New Zealand you get the opportunity to also learn about cooking, tourism or marine biology. Moreover, you can also take part in Outdoor Education, Health Education, IT, Business, Electronics or Woodwork. After lessons you can engage in a wide range of sport activities such as cricket, rugby, netball, badminton to canoe polo, basketball and swimming.
|General Courses||Special Courses||Sport Courses|
New Zealand is a country where you can feel that hospitality is more than just a word. International students are welcomed with a big smile and supported and well looked after during their stay. In return the families also expect the students to be open-minded and able to adapt to their lifestyle to create a harmonic living situation.
The "City of Sails" is just 30 km away from Auckland. Orewa is a popular seaside resort with wonderful beaches. Sports facilities are accordingly diverse: swimming, windsurfing, sailing and fishing.
Orewa College is just 5 minutes away from the beach. The school offers sports facilities of superior quality and a fittingly wide range of sports and leisure activities. In senior years you can choose from 32 subjects.
- Approx. 1.850 students
- French, Spanish, Maori, Journalism, Fashion Design, Business Studies,
- Photography, Film, Sculpture
- Rugby, Soccer, Hockey, Swimming, Badminton, Tennis, Squash
- Orewa Beach, Shakespeare Regional Park
A WHANGAPARAOA COLLEGE
A WHANGAPARAOA COLLEGE Reading through the reference letters and reports of students from Whangaparaoa College, you learn that the teachers and teaching methods rank among the highest in New Zealand. Motivation and passion will leave their mark on your stay.
- Maori, Drama, Visual Art, Business Studies, Food Technology, Design & Visual Communication
- Lacrosse, Rugby, Futsal, Hockey, Water Polo, Netball, Basketball
- Orewa Beach, Shakespeare Regional Park
Warkworth is based on the North Island of New Zealand, approximately one hour's drive from Auckland. In summer, Warkworth is a famous tourist destination with large beaches and a breathtaking coastline. Every year in spring there is the Kohwhai festival, which every citizen takes part in and which ends with a huge parade.
A MAHURANGI COLLEGE
Mahurangi College offers international students a special excursion programme. But that's not all – students from abroad can take part in special English courses.
- Approx. 1.100 students
- Spanish, Japanese, Maori, Media Studies, Graphic Design, New Zeal and Studies, Tourism, Business Studies
- Basketball, Mountain Biking, Climbing, Hockey, Yachting, Rugby,
- Swimming, Cricket
- Mahurangi Regional Park, Snells Beach
NELSON & RANGIORA
New Zealand has its very own “Sunshine State” called Nelson.The weather has a positive effect on its people that reflects in their relaxed attitude. Not only delicious fruits grow here but also many artists feel comfortable in Nelson.
Rangiora is only 30 minutes away from the city centre of Christchurch. The small city of Rangiora offers everything needed like a cinema, shopping malls and a library. The skiing area as well as the beach is not far away.
It's not every day you find a school offering classes in Marine Biology, Japanese and Automobile Engineering, but in Nelson, that's exactly what you get.
- 1.300 students
- French, Spanish, Outdoor Education, Marine Biology, Journalism, Gardening, Metal and Textile Work, IT, Tourism
- Rugby, Sailing, Skiing, Hockey, Golf, Soccer, Athletics, Netball, Basketball, Tennis
- Tahunanui Beach, Able Tasman National Park
RANGIORA HIGH SCHOOL
An institution in New Zealand. The school even has its own farm, where students learn to work with cows and sheep.
- 1.600 students
- French, Equine Studies, Farming, Outdoor Education, Health,
- Automotive, Engineering, Metal and Woodwork, Business Studies,
- Basketball, Cricket, Soccer, Hockey, Canoe Polo, Athletics, Rugby,
- Swimming, Softball
- Christchurch, Akaroa Peninsula